SENIOR MOBILE GAME DESIGNER
On a mobile game focused around animal well being and management mechanics
Ocellus Games is the new game development studio from Ocellus Group. We are on the lookout for seniors developers who wants to build the next generation of games in a human sized, very independent team setup. Ocellus Games teams will decide what games to make, how to make it and when to launch it or kill it. Whatever it is on Mobile, PC or consoles.
Our awards-winning Art Services, Ocellus Services, allows our game development teams to stay small, fully independent and focus on making great games. Our game development teams will have access to the same artistic production quality as the one we provide to our partners Supercell, Epic or Square Enix to name a few.
We are looking for an experienced Game Designer to truly own the game design vision of our upcoming game. You are able to work within a truly independent team set up who believe in each other skills and passion.
DESIGN A PEACEFUL AND FULFILLING GAME EXPERIENCE CENTERED AROUND ANIMALS
Design a peaceful game experience. The game should be a haven for the animals and for the player (ex: A short hike, Alba, Ponyo, Miyazaki).
Focus on non-oppressive gameplay. Avoid continuous frenzy gameplay (like Cookie Clicker) but similar mechanics can exist in small parts of the game.
Design an experience with emotional attachment towards player’s animals they’re taking care of and the sanctuary you’re building piece by piece (ex: Planet Zoo, Sims, your village of friends in Minecraft).
DESIGN A MULTIPLAYER AND COLLABORATIVE EXPERIENCE
Able to design a strong collaborative experience (Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Everdale, etc), without deteriorating the solo experience.
DESIGN GRATIFYING "ROUTINE" MECHANICS :
Able to find an addictive and rewarding gameplay loop revolving around routine chores satisfying to execute (Minecraft, Stardew Valley, with harvests, expansion, breeding, etc...).
COLLECT EVERYTHING, EXPAND :
Design a strong collection-focused gameplay, based on unlocking, finding, releasing and exchanging animals, and collaborating with other players (Pokemon).
Focus on “leveling-up” your sanctuary : always something to unlock, to improve, to discover, to customize (close to the feeling of skill trees for RPG players). Drive to unlock everything !
A CUSTOMIZABLE PLACE :
Help us design customization mechanics to create a place unique to each player and suitable for your animals (Planet Zoo, Animal Crossing, to an extreme : Dorf Romantik, Townscaper ?)
DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND MONEY :
A subtle and smart resource management : we want to avoid any bad, extreme capitalistic feeling in the game. Money and resources exist and can be key mechanics, but the goal is to make the animals and the player happy. Even when our sanctuary grows bigger and bigger !
A NARRATIVE EXPERIENCE
A game experience linking humans and animals, rooted in today’s questions around species endangerment, climate, ecology. The gameplay must be cohesive with a narrative experience around these subjects (Alba, Planet Zoo).
A LONG-TERM LUCRATIVE PROJECT FOR OCELLUS
Build a “lucrative project in real life” : With the helps of our expert partners design retention mechanics to create a key and profitable game for Ocellus. Build the retention mechanics around the core mechanics and peaceful identity of the game.
Focus on an “easy to scale up” game (expansions, updates, etc). The core mechanics should be thought with this in mind.
- Have experience with mobile!
- A senior designer able to lead a team, have the global game experience in mind and take important gameplay-related decisions.
- Able to create an accessible user experience for everyone. We target the widest audience possible.
- Able to work in a small collaborative and bubbling environment, open to ideas and discussions with other departments (devs, art, production, etc.).
- Love for the animal world, and be curious about animals! The game is focused around animal well-being and endangered species.
- La creme de la creme - We are obsessed with excellence and seek to embody it, we never compromise on quality
- Small and bold - We believe in human size, agile and truly independent teams
- Anyone can cook - We value ideas over hierarchy. Great ideas can come from anywhere so we care about each other opinions
- Through learnings we grow - We have a constant and endless appetite for learning
- Flexible hours - Employees are given the trust, freedom, and flexibility to manage their personal and professional lives.
- Lunch coupon card - We are in France, this one is a must
- Ocellus House full access - Play rooms, Cinema room, events, masterclasses and receptions !
- Team events - Team buildings and parties !
- Remote friendly - We are flexible with your location and work balance between office and home
- You do you - Team members decide how they wish to perform their tasks and have the possibility to openly share their ideas, develop new processes, and test concepts.
- Common sense - Fewer rules and more common sense. Processes sometimes can be appropriate, but often they slow things down. Fewer rules are liberating for people and autonomy leads ultimately to better games.
- Information Belongs to Everybody - Ocellus Games Company data will be available to everyone in the whole company. The more informed we all are, the more conscious decisions we can make and the more ownership we feel towards Ocellus.